Birch Syrup & Pecan Brownies
BIRCH SYRUP & PECAN BROWNIES
75g pecan nuts
4tbsp birch syrup
75g cocoa powder
125g plain flour
250g light brown soft sugar
4 large eggs
75g dark chocolate
1. Grease a 20cm square cake tin and sift together the cocoa powder and flour in a large bowl.
2. Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium sized pan on a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
3. Remove the butter mix from the heat and leave to cool before adding the birch syrup and cocoa. Stir together until combined.
4. Add the eggs and stir till mixed.
5. Add the dark chocolate - roughly chopped - and the pecan nuts - roughly chopped and fold through the mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased tin and smooth, adding some chopped pecan nuts to the top to decorate.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for approximately 20 minutes. Chill to cool before cutting into squares.
Recipe credit: Joan Armitage